Challenged and Changed for our Times: A virtual Pilgrimage of Encounter with Angela Merici and her Ursuline Family
February 12, 2022
Dear Ursuline Family;
The 2022 Ursuline Convocation is on the horizon, and we have exciting news to share!
Out of the challenges of the pandemic, the 2022 planning team has emerged with a new concept that opens up a wide horizon of possibilities for this and future convocations, starting with greater inclusion for more participants.
Our convocation experience to this point has been rich and fruitful… but limited to a small percentage of the Ursuline family. We all understand that the challenges of travel, time, and commitments have conspired to keep our actual attendance numbers fairly low.
When we began meeting as a team in 2020, the pandemic was newly upon us, calling everything into question. We had no idea when or even if it would be possible to hold an in-person gathering by 2022. As we began to explore ideas for a virtual gathering, it soon became evident that the challenges hold a silver lining: the possibility of a much more inclusive convocation which would be more logistically accessible for more of our Ursuline family – and be more earth-friendly too.
We all know how Angela loves a pilgrimage.
She’s inspired us to create a virtual pilgrimage through the present realities of our Ursuline experience: online live content on 6 consecutive Friday afternoons/evenings, beginning September 16, and concluding with the feast of Saint Ursula, October 21.
- A flexible schedule of offerings that allows you, the virtual pilgrim, to journey at your own pace… and not necessarily on Fridays!
- Each week, a new virtual piazza to explore on a website – chat rooms, exhibits, shopping, tours and more….at your own pace and on your schedule.
- Dynamic, 90 minute live sessions in our new Virtual Oratory, with rich content and small group sharing.
- Shared contemplative prayer on Friday evenings after the live sessions.
- And connecting it all… the opportunity to walk, talk and pray with Angela between the sessions: an Angela Retreat at your own pace.
We’re excited about these benefits:
- Low cost per pilgrim, group/student pricing available. This will be the cheapest pilgrimage, convocation or conference you’ll ever attend! No hotels, travel expenses, eating out… just a reasonable contribution towards a rich, well developed experience that will benefit the entire Ursuline family.
- Inclusive of everyone – we’re so looking forward to welcoming those for whom distance and time will now be a past issue.
- Low environmental impact: we’re all increasingly aware of the damage caused by modern modes of travel. Convo 2022 will be a much, much greener convocation with a much, much smaller carbon footprint!
- For now and for the future: A website full of great materials for our students and new friends, as well as our own inspiration. The Ursuline Education Network has stepped up as sponsors!
A Pilgrimage Like None Other
Your Convo2022 planning team has been working for nearly 2 years to develop this unique experience. We can’t wait to welcome you to the first pilgrimage station, featuring Angela's Italy. From there, we'll virtually travel across the pond to Brescia College in Ontario, Canada, then head south through Youngstown, Ohio; Louisville, Kentucky; the Navajo Nation; and somewhere in Mexico for our final celebration!
Please, Mark Your Calendar
to set aside a few evenings for Ursuline Family time with us: September 16, 23, 30, October 7, 14 and 21. Don’t worry if you can’t make every date – we just want to see you whenever you can make it!
You’ll be hearing from us soon as we offer registration and vendor/exhibit opportunities.
Stay in touch for a convocation like none other… and remember:
Angela loves a pilgrimage!