At the United Nations:
June 20 is World Refugee Day. The UN is preparing for a major meeting in September on the Global Compact for Migration. Presently there are several global campaigns you may want to consider and urge others to support:
Will you stand #WithRefugees?
1,512,776 have pledged their support!
Each day war forces thousands of families to flee their homes.
People like you, people like me.
To escape the violence, they leave everything behind - everything except their hopes and dreams for a safer future. UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, believes that all refugees deserve to live in safety.
Add your name to the #WithRefugees petition to send a clear message to governments that they must act with solidarity and shared responsibility.
We stand together #WithRefugees.
Please stand with us.
The petition asks governments to:
- Ensure every refugee child gets an education.
- Ensure every refugee family has somewhere safe to live.
- Ensure every refugee can work or learn new skills to make a positive contribution to their community.
TOGETHER is a United Nations campaign that promotes respect safety and dignity for refugees and migrants. Launched in September 2016, its aim is to counter the rise in xenophobia and discrimination.
TOGETHER is a growing coalition of Member States, private sector, civil society representatives and individuals committed to change negative narratives on migration and to strengthen the social cohesion between host communities and refugees and migrants.
Find out how you can get involved https://together.un.org/
UNICEF 6 POINT PLAN TO KEEP CHILDREN SAFE
The action plan's six points are:
- Protect child refugees and migrants, particularly unaccompanied children, from exploitation and violence;
- End the detention of children seeking refugee status or migrating, by introducing a range of practical alternatives;
- Keep families together as the best way to protect children and give children legal status;
- Keep all refugee and migrant children learning and give them access to health and other quality services;
- Press for action on the underlying causes of large scale movements of refugees and migrants;
- Promote measures to combat xenophobia, discrimination and marginalization in countries of transit and destination.
June 20 is World Refugee Day. The